Friday, January 11, 2013

Welcome to Thrift Fabulous

   Hi y'all. My name is Brittany and I adore thrifting. Not only is thrifting a hobby, it is a way of life for me. I started thrifting at an early age. My mom and I would have to take my Granny to doctors appointments, and on the way, we would stop at the local thrift store. My Granny loved seeing what bargain she could find. So I guess, in a way, my Granny opened me up to the world of thrifting.
    In the summer time, here in the South, we love to resale stuff we don't need, or no longer use in yard or garage sales. Every year before school started, my mother and Granny would sale things, mostly clothes,  I had outgrown to not only make money, but also room for new school clothes. It always felt good to see people whom I knew were less fortunate than I wearing clothes they had bought at my yard sale.  What we had left over we gave away or donated.
   After I got out of high school, I had put on a few pounds. Size 3 jeans I used to fit in, were just too snug. My chest got bigger than it already was, so needless to say, I needed clothes. My mom suggested one day that we go to the local thrift store to see if we could find anything to fit. My granny was getting older at this time, and wasn't able to get around as well as she once used to so I hadn't been to the thrift store in a very long time.  I was skeptical at first, but I was like okay, we'll give it a chance.
  When I walked into the store I kind of thought to myself, they only had out dated clothes in here, until.....
I saw a scarf with a very similar pattern to Burberry scarves I'd saw that were expensive.  It was only a 1.50 so I thought why not?
  My mom wore the scarf to work one day and came home and said "Britt,this scarf isn't a knockoff, look at the tag!" Sure enough I did and saw the tale-tell Burberry tag inside. I done my research and realized I had a real vintage 1,000.00 scarf that I only paid 1.50 for.
   That began my love affair with thrifting. Not only do I find great bargains, but if it weren't for thrift stores and yard sales, I would be walking around in my underwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment